Lara Plecas

In my work, I explore the connection between human emotion and our environment. We have a deep personal connection with the places where we visit and live, as well as, the experiences that may have endured there.

12 June 2011

Fifth Annual International Encaustic Conference

    I just returned home from 10 days in Cape Cod for the 5th Annual International Encaustic Conference. The main conference was June 3rd-June 5th at the Provincetown Inn in the west end . The post conference workshops were held at the Truro Center for the Arts the following week, which is in the next town over from Provincetown.

    P town was larger than life, a town rich in history of pilgrim settlers and artists. It is a small Portuguese fishing village that has been a home to many artists and evolved into a liberal playground for the gay and lesbian lifestyle. It is charming!  The houses, the light houses, the beaches, the accents.... I enjoyed my time biking back and forth on Commercial avenue, strolling the art galleries, walking the pier and tasting the local food. It was a wonderful setting to be in during our conference.

   I attended Lynette Haggard's worksop on working with a torch on Monday. This class will be helpful to get me comfortable working with a torch and to be able to work on a larger surface than my current 4' x 4' panels.






   Tuesday and Wednesday I took Photo and encaustic with Elena De La Ville. This class was my favorite, and I was able to work in the studio both days, completing four new pieces. Elena was a dynamic teacher, and it was a real treat to learn some new techniques in this class.









   Now, back to the studio to begin my new series.... I will be delving into large scale woodcarving, incorporating photography and drawing from my recent experiences in P town. The next show will be my second solo show as a member of Eye lounge, which will open October 21st- November 13th.

No comments: